Ideal Weight for Optimal Preconception
Losing weight naturally is a good step towards improving long-term health. Find out how below.
It is very important for both parents to address obesity and maintain a healthy weight, especially if they are planning to conceive. Maintaining an ideal weight applies not only to mothers but also to fathers because excess weight can also affect sperm quality.
Achieving a healthy weight can be done through healthy lifestyle changes, including a balanced diet and regular physical activity.
Here are some ways that both parents can follow to achieve an ideal weight and maintain a healthy body.
How to Lose Weight Naturally
Here are some ways to lose weight naturally:
Tanya Ferly tentang Promil?
1. Balanced Diet
One way to achieve an ideal weight is by maintaining a balanced diet. By following a balanced diet, both parents can ensure proper nutrition and support their weight loss or healthy weight maintenance goals.
Here are some healthy eating patterns to consider:
- Consume Fiber-Rich Foods: Ensure that you eat foods rich in fiber, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. Fiber helps fill the stomach and reduce appetite, helping you feel full for longer.
- Avoid Processed Foods: Try to avoid processed foods, fast food, and foods that contain added sugars. Processed foods often contain empty calories and added chemicals that are not good for health.
- Choose Low-Fat and Healthy Protein Sources: Opt for low-fat foods and healthy sources of protein in your daily meals. Examples include fish, skinless chicken, tofu, and legumes. Healthy proteins help build and repair body tissues and provide energy.
- Control Portion Sizes: Controlling portion sizes is essential. Use smaller plates and try to avoid overeating. Eating smaller, more frequent meals is better than consuming three large meals a day.
Several studies published in the National Library of Medicine have shown that using smaller plates helps people eat less, as it changes how they perceive their meal portion sizes. Using smaller plates reduces the amount of food consumed and gives the impression of eating more.
2. Avoid Unhealthy Snacks
Do you both enjoy snacking? It’s okay, but it’s best to replace high-calorie snacks with healthy alternatives like carrots, cucumbers, or fresh fruits. Steer clear of snacks that are high in added sugars, salt, or trans fats.
Healthy snacks like fresh vegetables and fruits are good choices to satisfy hunger between meals without adding extra weight.
In addition, avoiding snacks high in added sugar, salt, or trans fats will help maintain overall body health and support stable weight.
3. Regular Exercise
Engage in regular physical activities such as walking, cycling, swimming, or running.
Try to get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity each week.
Cardio exercises, including running, jogging, cycling, brisk walking, or hiking, are excellent for burning calories and improving both mental and physical health.
Cardio has been proven to reduce various risk factors for heart disease and can help with weight loss.
Cardio appears to be highly effective in reducing fat and preventing metabolic diseases.
4. Stay Hydrated
Drink enough water, as sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger.
Avoid high-calorie beverages like soda and alcohol.
According to Healthline, drinking 0.5 liters of water can increase calorie burning by 24-30% in the hour that follows. Drinking water before meals can also reduce calorie intake.
Water is very helpful for weight loss when it replaces other high-calorie and sugary beverages.
5. Get Enough Sleep
Lack of sleep can affect appetite and metabolism. Try to get 7-9 hours of sleep per night. Getting enough sleep is crucial for weight loss and preventing future weight gain.
A study published by the Sleep Research Society shows that sleep-deprived individuals are up to 55% more likely to develop obesity compared to those who get enough sleep. This is because lack of sleep can disrupt daily fluctuations in appetite hormones, leading to poor appetite regulation.
6. Effectively Manage Stress
Effectively managing stress is an important step in maintaining weight balance and overall health.
Techniques such as meditation, yoga, or deep breathing exercises can help reduce stress levels.
Effective stress management is not only beneficial for mental health but can also help prevent overeating, which is often associated with stress.
When someone can cope with stress better, they are more likely to make healthier food choices and effectively maintain their weight.
7. Don’t Skip Breakfast
Having breakfast can help control appetite throughout the day. Choose a breakfast rich in protein and fiber.
Opt for breakfast options like oatmeal with fruit and a boiled egg, low-fat yogurt with mixed nuts, or whole-grain bread with almond butter.
These types of breakfast not only provide good nutrition but also help control appetite from morning to noon.
8. Consult with a Nutritionist
If the above steps do not result in the desired weight loss, it is advisable to consult with a nutritionist for personalized dietary advice.
A nutritionist can provide specific assistance in designing a meal plan that suits individual needs, especially if there are specific health issues to consider.
With guidance from a nutritionist, both parents can effectively address weight loss challenges and do so safely. Consider consulting with a nutritionist or a doctor.
Always remember that losing weight is a long-term journey that requires patience and commitment. Avoid extreme or dangerous diets and focus on adopting a healthier lifestyle.
That’s it, both parents, for an explanation of how to lose weight healthily. Let’s start living a healthy life before embarking on preconception for even more optimal results.
- Healthline. 29 Ways to Lose Weight Naturally (Backed by Science). Diakses 2023. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/30-ways-to-lose-weight-naturally#TOC_TITLE_HDR_24
- Medical News Today.How To Naturally Lose Weight Fast. Diakses 2023. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322345
- National Health Service UK. 12 Tips To Help You Lose Weight.Diakses 2023. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/managing-your-weight/tips-to-help-you-lose-weight/
- BMJ Journals. A high-protein diet for reducing body fat: mechanisms and possible caveats.Diakses 2023. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4258944/
- BMJ Journals. Effect of breakfast on weight and energy intake: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Diakses 2023. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30700403/